The Tome, part III: Structure

Chairete! (That's Attic Greek for "Hello, everyone!) How about a view of the top of my head while I'm working?

I've been making progress on the journal. I've gotten the spine stitched, glued, rounded, and backed. I've stitched in headbands -- making them myself was easier than trying to find a place nearby that sells them pre-made. Here's a picture of the book with all these things accomplished, except the rounding and backing:

Sewing thread isn't quite thick enough for a headband, which needs more of a heavy floss to look good, but that was all I had. Rather than go out and buy something thicker, I decided to make a project of twisting the thread I had, four-ply, into a thicker strand. This would have been absolutely pointless if it weren't an excuse to use Grandpa Parker's hand-drill, but it was, so as a matter of fact it was a complete win.

With the spine all set, I cut cover boards and laced them onto the cords. May I now present to you... structure!

From the inside, the book looks pretty nearly finished -- it just needs a cover on the spine.

The next step is to find leather and start covering the...covers. Cover boards. Decorating them. There.

That means the prettiest pictures are yet to come, so stay tuned for part IV!

Go to: Part II | Part IV

No comments:

Post a Comment