Family Bible, part II

Work continues on the CCD Bible. The goal was to get most of the work done this weekend, and I did in fact get everything structural done. The first task was straightening out the curled page corners. First I tried pressing them, which did nothing, so I progressed to a medium-heat iron. That did the trick. The pages are not perfectly flat, but they are lying straight now and I'm thinking that, after they are pressed in the final stages, they will condense more.

With that taken care of, the text block was ready to be prepared for a hardcover structure. I tipped in the detached first two pages and then added endsheets on top of those. The endsheets are a plain but high-quality, ivory, 100% cotton paper; this seemed more suitable to the plain, functional purpose of the book than something with a pattern.

Once the endpapers were in place, I covered the spine with cheesecloth super and kraft paper after adding a marker ribbon. The text block is now ready for casing in -- at least, unless I figure out a way to add headbands, which I really want to do.

Meanwhile, the cover was coming together. The boards are 0.080" Davey board, pasted onto a manilla-folder spine per my usual construction. The next step is to cover them with cloth, but before that happens I need to try printing onto the cloth.

Stay tuned for the final stages: finishing the cover boards, and then using them to case in the text block!

2 comments:

  1. Ah a manilla folder. What a great idea!

    Also, Rev. Marx, another re-binder, would use a hacksaw and cut four diagonals into the spines of his paperbacks and would then glue hemp cord into the cut grooves just to give extra support to the spine. Just a thought :)

    http://mrxdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/03/extream-book-makeover.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The manilla folder idea came from Dave's Bookbinding Tutorial (link in sidebar)...really a useful resource!

    Hemp cords -- funny you mention that, I actually did that. With hemp, even. Like this, but I just didn't get a picture of it for the Bible project: http://poiesis-journal.blogspot.com/2012/08/in-progress-rebinding-paperbacks.html

    ReplyDelete