Rebound paperback: Wuthering Heights

I was always more fond of Jane Eyre than I was of Wuthering Heights, but this paperback copy of Emily Bronte's classic novel was too inviting to pass up. It wanted a dark but romantic and thoroughly Victorian look.


I gave it the full treatment to make for a sound new hardcover: cords sunk and glued into the spine for strength, a cheesecloth hinge to attach the cover. Putting the cover together was something of a trial. I knew I wanted to use this floral brown printed paper with a cream spine and ivory endpapers. However, I didn't have a long enough strip of the cream paper to cover the spine, so I had to come up with the brown spacer strips you see in the final product.

Then there was the title. I'm not a practicing calligrapher, but I have practiced, I'm comfortable with an ink pen, and my natural handwriting isn't bad. So I inked a couple dozen practice titles before taking on the real thing. I'm happy with the result, but I wish I had practiced the sans-serif author name a little more; it was supposed to be cleaner and very blocky. Still, I'm pleased and I know I'll get better.

I was, however, extremely pleased to find a ribbon in precisely the same shade of indigo as the endpapers.

This book is available for sale from my Etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment